Expectations Fall That the Fed Will Cut Interest Rates This Week 

Expectations Fall That the Fed Will Cut Interest Rates This Week 

Investing.com  | Sep 17, 2019 10:29

Expectations Fall That the Fed Will Cut Interest Rates This Week 

Investing.com - A rate cut at this week's Federal Reserve policy meeting is no longer a done deal, as surging energy prices, trade progress and upbeat retail data have all undercut the arguments for easier policy.

Expectations that the central bank will lower its benchmark overnight rate remain, but chances seem to be growing that this could be the last one, according to Investing.com’s Fed Rate Monitor Tool.

Traders priced in a 35.4% chance that the Fed will leave rates unchanged at a two-day meeting that concludes on Wednesday, while 64.6% believe rates will be lowered by 25 basis points. Last week, the implied probability of a cut had been 94.6%.

The shift in expectations has come as oil prices surged following attacks on Saudi Arabian oil installations at the weekend, and rising inflation numbers last week. Meanwhile, trade progress between the U.S. and China have also dampened rate cut expectations, as signs that both sides want to avoid further escalating the dispute reduce a key risk to the U.S. economic outlook.

Related News

Latest comments

Add a Comment
Please wait a minute before you try to comment again.
Write a reply...
Please wait a minute before you try to comment again.

Trading in financial instruments and/or cryptocurrencies involves high risks including the risk of losing some, or all, of your investment amount, and may not be suitable for all investors. Prices of cryptocurrencies are extremely volatile and may be affected by external factors such as financial, regulatory or political events. Trading on margin increases the financial risks.
Before deciding to trade in financial instrument or cryptocurrencies you should be fully informed of the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, carefully consider your investment objectives, level of experience, and risk appetite, and seek professional advice where needed.
Fusion Media would like to remind you that the data contained in this website is not necessarily real-time nor accurate. The data and prices on the website are not necessarily provided by any market or exchange, but may be provided by market makers, and so prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual price at any given market, meaning prices are indicative and not appropriate for trading purposes. Fusion Media and any provider of the data contained in this website will not accept liability for any loss or damage as a result of your trading, or your reliance on the information contained within this website.
It is prohibited to use, store, reproduce, display, modify, transmit or distribute the data contained in this website without the explicit prior written permission of Fusion Media and/or the data provider. All intellectual property rights are reserved by the providers and/or the exchange providing the data contained in this website.
Fusion Media may be compensated by the advertisers that appear on the website, based on your interaction with the advertisements or advertisers.

English (USA) English (India) English (Canada) English (Australia) English (South Africa) English (Philippines) English (Nigeria) Deutsch Español (España) Español (México) Français Italiano Nederlands Português (Portugal) Polski Português (Brasil) Русский Türkçe ‏العربية‏ Ελληνικά Svenska Suomi עברית 日本語 한국어 简体中文 繁體中文 Bahasa Indonesia Bahasa Melayu ไทย Tiếng Việt हिंदी
Sign out
Are you sure you want to sign out?
Saving Changes


Download the App

More markets insights, more alerts, more ways to customize assets watchlists only on the App

Investing.com is better on the App!

More content, faster quotes and charts, and a smoother experience is available only on the App.